Sunnyside Manor’s Senior Living Health Tips: Flower Arranging for Seniors
Even with this week’s surprisingly winter-like weather, signs of spring are coming up all over! From forsythia to daffodils, flowers are a sure sign of the sunny days to come and a delight for all. And, for seniors, the presence of flowers has added benefits.
Flowers Make Seniors Happy
In a Rutgers University study of the effect of flowers on seniors, the presence of flowers was shown to boost mood, socialization, and overall satisfaction. This is just part of what makes flower arranging an ideal activity for seniors. The benefits of flower arranging for seniors include:
- Sensory stimulation. The bright colors, scents, and textures of flowers delight and stimulate the senses.
- Preserving dexterity. Intricate work placing flowers gives hands a fingers a good workout.
- Focus and cognition. Flower arranging uses parts of the brain responsible for spatial relationships
- Sense of accomplishment. A beautiful arrangement is a unique accomplishment that seniors can keep and be proud of!
- Arranging flowers with others is a relaxing, low pressure way to socialize and get to know new people.
Here at Sunnyside Manor, we’re bringing our residents and families a unique opportunity to learn more about flower arranging.
Flower Arranging Presentation
Saturday, April 1, 2017, 10:00 a.m.
Join Barlow’s head floral designer as she shows us the tips and tricks of flower arranging! You’ll learn everything from getting the most out of your flowers to how to artfully arrange them.
With hydrangeas, gerber daisies, snapdragons, roses, and more, Barlow’s floral designer will show you how to create an elegant arrangement. Plus, each participant will receive a special gift! Please RSVP to Sunnyside Manor at 888-862-2964.
The all new Sunnyside Manor, located in Wall NJ, is the area’s premier senior living community. It features three distinctive neighborhoods: Independence ‘Plus’ Assisted Living, Recollections Memory Care, and Skilled Nursing.