Sunnyside’s Senior Living Health Tips: Summer Safety for Seniors
Summer is in full swing! That means lots of outdoor fun, like cookouts, parties, and picnics with family and friends.
When your summer fun includes the special seniors in your life, it’s important to be aware that seniors can respond differently to hot weather than younger adults.
Normal changes during the aging process can make skin more sensitive and make good hydration more challenging. Plus, conditions and medications common in seniors may require some extra precautions in high heat and bright sunlight.
Here are four simple ways you can help keep your senior loved ones safe during summer fun:
- Stay Hydrated!
- Everyone needs to drink more water during the summer, especially seniors.
- Keep water bottles handy everywhere you go. Smaller bottles with easy-to-grip surfaces are perfect for seniors
- Snack on foods with high water content, like celery, grapes, and cucumbers.
- Limit caffeine intake. A tall glass of iced tea is a wonderful treat, but the caffeine is a diuretic. Alternate caffeinated beverages with sips of water.
- Discuss any conditions that may affect your loved one’s response to heat. Heart conditions, high or low blood pressure, and kidney disease all can affect the body’s response to heat.
- Some medications commonly taken by seniors can impair perspiration, especially diuretics and blood pressure medications. This makes it more difficult for the body to naturally cool itself. Review side effects carefully.
- Know the signs of heatstroke. Symptoms of heatstroke may include dizziness, headaches, confusion, nausea, rapid pulse, and a flushed face.
- If you notice any of these symptoms, take action immediately.
- Senior skin can be more sensitive to sun exposure. Protect yourself and your loved ones by using a moisturizer with SPF, even on hazy or cloudy days.
- When going out for a drive with a senior loved one, be sure the car is completely cool before leaving. Seniors are more sensitive to changes in temperature, even for short times.
- Go natural: clothing in natural fabrics like linen and cotton breathe better and keep you cool. And don’t forget the hats and sunglasses!
The all new Sunnyside Manor, located in Wall NJ, is the area’s premier senior living community. It features three distinctive neighborhoods: Independence ‘Plus’ Assisted Living, Recollections Memory Care and Skilled Nursing.