Have a Ball on Our New Bocce Courts!
We’re thrilled to announce the completion of our bocce ball courts at Sunnyside Manor! While bocce ball may have its roots all the way back in ancient Egypt, our courts are brand new and ready for our residents to enjoy.
The two side-by-side courts are right off of our walking trail, with plenty of seating for those who’d like to watch or relax between games. Each court is 36 feet long and six feet wide.
Bocce ball has a long – and fun – tradition, and it’s an especially good choice for seniors. Bocce ball offers seniors:
- Physical exercise. Bocce ball gets you moving without being too strenuous.
- Mental stimulation. Strategic thinking helps seniors stay sharp.
- Opportunities to socialize. A game is a great way to spend time with old friends and get to know new friends in a relaxed and comfortable environment.
- Fun for players of all abilities. Bocce ball is easy to modify for those with physical limitations.
Fun Facts About Bocce Ball
Did you know…
- “Bocce” is the plural of the Italian word boccia, which means “bowl.”
- A game similar to bocce was first documented in an Egyptian painting dating back to 5200 B.
- Bocce spread from Egypt to Greece and Rome around the 6th century B.C. and eventually became popular throughout Europe.
- As bocce ball became more popular, it was banned in several countries. The game was so popular that leaders believed it was distracting soldiers from their military duties!
- Bocce as we know it today was popularized in Italy in the 1800s.
- Bocce ball first appeared in the U.S as early as the 1780s. George Washington built a bocce court at Mt. Vernon.
- Bocce became popularized in the U.S. by Italian immigrants in the early 20th century, who brought the game with them from Italy.
- The United States Bocce Federation was founded in 1976. Competitors from the U.S. have participated in every world championship for the past 40 years.
Come see our new bocce courts! Plus, there are even more games and exercise programs on our Independence ‘Plus’ Assisted Living calendar, Recollections Memory Care calendar, and Skilled Nursing calendar.
The all new Sunnyside Manor, located in Wall NJ, is the area’s premier senior living community. It features three distinctive neighborhoods: Independence ‘Plus’ Assisted Living, Recollections Memory Care, and Skilled Nursing.