Senior Health Tips: Senior Friendly Barbecue
Few things say summer like a family barbecue! An afternoon barbecue is the ideal time to gather family and friends for a fun, relaxing outdoor meal. (In fact, we’re getting ready for our own barbecue here on August 6th.)
For senior loved ones, a few simple considerations can keep the family cookout safe, enjoyable, and fun.
Make sure that there is comfortable, sturdy seating in the shade. While everyone should be careful in the sun, seniors are more susceptible to sunburns and heat stress. Sunscreen – even in the shade – and plenty of cold water will help everyone stay safe and enjoy their meals in comfort.
For added comfort, consider bringing a circulating fan outside. (As an added bonus, fans also help keep mosquitos away!)
The Perfect Senior Friendly Barbecue Menu
Great food hot off the grill is the centerpiece of a barbecue. A few simple adjustments to the menu will ensure that everyone enjoys what is on the table! Try these tips so that your senior loved ones can savor the great tastes of summer:
- Choose tender cuts of meat that are easier to cut and chew.
- Keep that delicious corn on the cob on the menu! Although eating corn on the cob can be difficult for some seniors, it’s easy to cut corn kernels off the cob once it has cooled a bit.
- Avoid nuts and seeds in salads and desserts, as they can be difficult to manage with dentures and other dental work.
- Traditional favorites bring back great memories. Include fun favorites like burgers, potato salad, and s’mores.
- Iced tea and sodas taste refreshing, but nothing beats plain water for staying hydrated. Forgo sugary drinks in favor of water.
Hungry? Join the Fun on August 6th!
Is all this talk about barbecue making you hungry? See how Sunnyside Manor, the best senior living community in Wall, NJ, does barbecue for its residents and their families! Please join us for an Open House and BBQ with treats right off the grill, tours, and fun with our residents, staff, families, and friends on Saturday, August 6th. RSVP to 888-758-8589.
The all new Sunnyside Manor, located in Wall Township, is the area’s premier senior living community. It features three distinctive neighborhoods: Independence ‘Plus’ Assisted Living, Memory Care and Skilled Nursing.