Senior Health Tips: Senior Friendly Barbecue
Few things say summer like a family barbecue! An afternoon barbecue is the ideal time to gather family and friends for a fun, relaxing outdoor meal.
For senior loved ones, a few simple considerations can keep the family cookout safe, enjoyable, and fun.
Make sure that there is comfortable, sturdy seating in the shade. While everyone should be careful in the sun, seniors are more susceptible to sunburns and heat stress. Sunscreen – even in the shade – and plenty of cold water will help everyone stay safe and enjoy their meals in comfort.
For added comfort, consider bringing a circulating fan outside. (As an added bonus, fans also help keep mosquitos away!)
The Perfect Senior Friendly Barbecue Menu
Great food hot off the grill is the centerpiece of a barbecue. A few simple adjustments to the menu will ensure that everyone enjoys what is on the table! Try these tips so that your senior loved ones can savor the great tastes of summer:
- Choose tender cuts of meat that are easier to cut and chew.
- Keep that delicious corn on the cob on the menu! Although eating corn on the cob can be difficult for some seniors, it’s easy to cut corn kernels off the cob once it has cooled a bit.
- Avoid nuts and seeds in salads and desserts, as they can be difficult to manage with dentures and other dental work.
- Traditional favorites bring back great memories. Include fun favorites like burgers, potato salad, and s’mores.
- Iced tea and sodas taste refreshing, but nothing beats plain water for staying hydrated. Forgo sugary drinks in favor of water.
Learn More About Why Families Rely On Sunnyside Manor
When you have questions about senior living, we are here to help. Sunnyside Manor offers assisted living, memory care, and skilled nursing and rehabilitation. Learn more about Sunnyside Manor’s resources for caregivers. Whether you’re looking for short-term support or a longer-term plan, begin with our “Getting Started” guide. Please call us at 888-696-2052 to speak with a senior living expert.
Sunnyside Manor, located in Wall NJ, is the area’s premier senior living community. The community features three distinctive neighborhoods: Independence ‘Plus’ Assisted Living, Recollections Memory Care, and Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation.