The 10 Best Holiday Gifts for Family Caregivers
Plus, see our top tips for successful gift giving.
What do you get for the caregiver who does it all?
As the holidays approach, it is the perfect time to look for creative ways to support those in your family who are caring for senior loved ones.
Thoughtful gifts can bring joy and ease to a caregiver’s day and help show your appreciation. Fortunately, finding the perfect gift doesn’t have to be difficult! All you have to do is follow a few simple guidelines for good gift giving, and look to our list for some inspiration.
Giving The Perfect Gift: Helpful Guidelines
Express your appreciation for family caregivers this year by choosing gifts that are personalized, meaningful, and supportive. Follow these three simple guidelines and you’re sure to bring good cheer!
- Think personal and local. Think about what is important to your family member. What do they love to do? How do they like to relax? Even if you live far away, a little research may turn up a local shop or business that caters to their interests. Opting for a gift certificate from the local choice adds an even more personal touch.
- Avoid “project gifts.” Gifts that require effort or commitment from the recipient can become just another item on the to-do list. These include gifts that require a lot of care or maintenance, like a plant that needs frequent water or pruning, or gifts like clothing that may require an exchange or return. Unless your family member has asked for these gifts specifically, there are better options!
- Choose clutter-free gifts. With more people than ever working from home, there is even more to organize and clean. It’s easy to get overwhelmed! Digital and consumable gifts can be a great, clutter-free choice.
10 Perfect Gifts for Family Caregivers
When it comes to holiday gift giving, the real magic is the way a thoughtful gift can make life more joyful. Our list of creative, clutter-free gift ideas can be personalized to suit any style and budget.
- A home cooked meal. Do they rave about your ravioli or sing praises over your stew? If you know they have a favorite, give them a night off with a home cooked meal delivered right to their door.
- A meal from a favorite restaurant. A gift card for dining in or delivery from their favorite local restaurant is another thoughtful way to give them a night off, and can be used any time.
- Support their hobbies. Look online for a local shop that sells supplies for their favorite pastime. A gift certificate will support a local business and give your loved one an opportunity to choose something that will bring them joy.
- Healthful foods. During this season of indulgence, a delivery of their favorite fruit or other healthful snacks can be a refreshing change. Try gift baskets of apples, pears, or Florida citrus fruits, which can be shipped easily and will keep well past the holidays when stored in the refrigerator.
- Go digital. Do they love a good movie night? Is there always music on in their home or car? Do they like celebrity news and current events? Try digital gift subscriptions for movies, music, online magazines, or audiobooks.
- Food and beverage subscription boxes. Whether your family caregiver is a coffee connoisseur or a spice seeker, there are subscription boxes to fit nearly any preference and budget. From wine and beer to spices and specialty sodas, there is something for everyone!
- Donations. For family members whose time is limited due to caregiving responsibilities, personalized donations to causes that are most important to them are a thoughtful way to show your appreciation. If you’re unsure where to donate, ask them, check which organizations they follow on social media, or recall where they have volunteered in the past.
- Family history. Put an updated family tree under the Christmas tree. This is a gift that gives twice. For a caregiver dedicated to family, new insights into family history can be meaningful and motivational. And, if you enjoy research and history, you benefit, too! Dive into free resources from the National Archives, and paid sources such as ancestry.com.
- Family photos. Have some wonderful family photos? Whether they’re recent photos tucked in your phone or old photos in an album, having a print made and sent to a loved one is easier than ever. You can even have photos sent printed on canvas or professionally framed. (A list of photo resources can be found here.)
- Self-care products and little luxuries they love. If there are products that you know they use and love – like a favorite perfume, lotion, or soap – a small basket of their favorites is both practical and luxurious.
And finally… when you really want to show a family caregiver how much they’re appreciated, be sure to include a personal letter expressing your gratitude with your gift!
All of us at Sunnyside Manor wish you a very happy and safe holiday season, and a healthy new year. Stay safe and take good care.
Learn More About Why Families Rely On Sunnyside Manor
Sunnyside Manor offers assisted living, memory support, and skilled nursing and rehabilitation. Learn more about Sunnyside Manor’s resources for caregivers. Whether you’re looking for short-term support or a longer-term plan, we are here to help. Begin with our “Getting Started” guide. Times have changed, and so have our admissions protocols. Please call us at 888-696-2052 to speak with a senior living expert.
Sunnyside Manor, located in Wall NJ, is the area’s premier senior living community. It features three distinctive neighborhoods: Independence ‘Plus’ Assisted Living, Recollections Memory Care and Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation.