The 8 Things to Look for When Touring a Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Learn what to look for and which questions to ask when touring a skilled nursing center for short-term rehabilitation.
If your situation is urgent: please call us at 848-246-6027 to connect with our admissions coordinator. Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation at Sunnyside Manor coordinates admissions 24/7, works with all area hospitals, and accepts most major insurances.
Whether you’re looking for short-term rehabilitation for a planned procedure or for recovery from an unexpected heath event, choosing a skilled nursing and rehabilitation center can be a challenging and complex process.
To find the best fit, it helps to know exactly what to look for and which questions to ask when you visit and tour skilled nursing and rehabilitation centers near you.
Read on for more information about the eight key things to look for in a skilled nursing and rehabilitation center. Plus, learn which questions to ask to help you make an informed decision and ensure that the recovery process is as smooth and worry-free as possible.
While the suggestions below focus on short term rehabilitation, you can use these principles for choosing a center for long term skilled nursing care as well. Learn about the difference between skilled nursing and rehabilitation here.
Which Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Centers Should You Tour?
A list from a hospital discharge planner or an online search may include more centers than you could possibly tour, especially if the situation is urgent. While choosing a skilled nursing and rehabilitation center for a loved one (or for yourself) may seem overwhelming at first, take it one step at a time: gather the relevant information about your loved one’s medical needs, then start your research and schedule appointments to visit and tour.
If you’re just getting started, narrow down your list quickly and efficiently with our three step guide to choosing a short term rehabilitation center.
What Should You Look for When Touring a Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Visiting and touring a skilled nursing and rehabilitation center can help you answer the big questions about whether the community offers quality care and will be a good fit for your loved one.
Here are the eight signs of quality to look for when visiting a skilled nursing and rehabilitation center.
- Cleanliness. The center appears clean and well maintained.
- Positive staff interactions with residents. Staff address residents by name and are kind and polite (even when speaking loudly).
- Teamwork. Staff are respectful and friendly with each other.
- Daily care. Residents appear well-groomed and their clothes are clean.
- Activities and entertainment. The center offers four or more activities daily. (See our activity programs in action on Facebook and Instagram!)
- Meal choices. Menus are posted with options.
- Pleasant and welcoming accommodations. Resident spaces are clean with personal touches.
- Friendly overall feel. Look for a warm, professional environment where your loved one will be well supported during recovery.
What Questions Should You Ask When Touring a Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
During a visit, you’ll have an opportunity to talk at length with the admissions coordinator and learn more about the community. The admissions coordinator should be open to answering questions about the community’s care offerings, quality measures, and leadership.
Following are some important questions to ask during a visit to help ensure that the recovery process is a smooth one.
- How often will my loved one receive therapy?
- Is this a condition that is regularly treated here?
- What percentage of people return home after rehabilitation?
- What is the Medicare star rating?
- How long has this center been in operation?
- How long has the leadership been in place?
- What is the staff to resident ratio?
- What is the cost?
- What insurances are accepted?
- Who manages care plans?
- Who will be my primary point of contact while my loved one is here?
- Who will contact me if my loved one’s health changes?
- Are there spaces currently available?
- Are there private rooms available?
- What are the visitation policies?
The tour is one of the most important factors in choosing a short term rehabilitation center. When you’re ready to tour, contact us here or call us at 848-246-6027 to speak with our skilled nursing and rehabilitation admissions coordinator.
In the meantime, you can find more helpful resources for skilled nursing and rehabilitation below.
- How to Choose a Short Term Rehabilitation Center
- Answers to Your Frequently Asked Questions About Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Care
- Understanding Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Terminology
- What Is The Difference Between Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation?
- Short Term Rehabilitation at Sunnyside Manor
- Sunnyside Manor Earns Top U.S. News & World Report Ratings, Skilled Nursing and Assisted Living Neighborhoods Named ‘Best in the Nation’
Learn More About Why Families Rely On Sunnyside Manor
When you have questions about senior living, we are here to help. Sunnyside Manor offers assisted living, memory care, and skilled nursing and rehabilitation. Learn more about Sunnyside Manor’s resources for caregivers. Whether you’re looking for short-term support or a longer-term plan, begin with our “Getting Started” guide. Please call us at 888-696-2052 to speak with a senior living expert.
Sunnyside Manor, located in Wall NJ, is the area’s premier family-owned senior living community. The community features three distinctive neighborhoods: Independence ‘Plus’ Assisted Living, Recollections Memory Care, and Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation.